Blog #2
My understanding of social studies inquiry has totally grown during this module. When we first started talking about social studies inquiry I didn't really know what exactly that meant. I had guessed that it just meant to ask question's regarding to social studies, which is partly what it means but we learned about it much more in depth and now I understand what it means a lot more. I now understand that with social studies inquiry we can ask students compelling questions to then help them learn not only the answer in a simple form but to learn a ton of information along the way and answer the question very in depth. It seems like a really great strategy that I will defiantly use in my future classroom to help my students think deeper rather than just give a one word answer.
There is a huge importance on giving both compelling and supporting questions in an IDM. When using social studies inquiry you have to give compelling questions along with supporting questions in order to make your students dive deeper and think harder about the answers to the questions. As we talked about this week if you just give the students a question such as "How many people were living in that area?" that is not a good question for this type of learning. Instead you should give a compelling question such as "Where did they travel on their journey? What were the areas like that they traveled?" This question cannot just be a one word answer so students have to think more about the answer and do more research to answer the initial question as well as the supporting question.
One question that I still have would be how to use this strategy with younger grades such as first through third grade, I would just like to learn more about how to use this strategy with younger students. I could look deeper into this and find some examples or videos of teachers doing this in their classrooms with younger students. I am excited to learn more because this is something I definitely want to use this strategy in my future classroom!

I really like how you added examples of compelling questions vs non-compelling questions. I also was curious about strategies to help use this teaching methods to younger students. What grade do you want to teach?
ReplyDeleteI am going to try and teach somewhere between 1st and 3rd grade!
Delete