Blog #5
Select 3 Things you have learned this quarter and describe how your thoughts changed, developed, or were reinforced by our course work. Be sure to connect to readings and/or class discussions.
I have learned a ton in this course throughout this quarter. Three things that I learned a ton about this quarter was what a compelling question is, what project based learning is and all about inquiry based learning. Before I started this course I had not even heard of a compelling question let alone known how to create a compelling question. The foundational elements assignment as well as the conversations that we had on zoom that week really helped me understand what a compelling question was and how I can create a compelling question as well as supporting questions for my students. Another thing I learned a ton about was project based learning, I had done some project based learning thoughout my schooling but I never really knew everything that went into it. After now compelting a project based unit of my own for this course I now have practice with it and understand everything that must go into the unit to make it all work. The last idea that I learned about this quarter was inquiry based teaching, I did not really know much about it and I struggled alot with it until the inquiry based assignment, after viewing someone elsed inquiry evaluation I learned a lot about how an inquiry based evaluation should and shouldnt be.
Identify one challenge/concern/question you still have about teaching social studies. Explain your thoughts about this issue.
I feel a lot more confident in teaching social studies after taking this course but there are of course still some concerns. A few concerns that I still have when it comes to teaching social studies is coming up with fun and exciting activities and lessons that my students are engaged and excited about. Another concern that I have is putting together project based units and getting everything to fit together and work together. I feel confident that these skills will grow over time and with more experience and practice I will feel less concerned about these aspects of my social studies instruction.

Celynne,
ReplyDeleteI was also unaware of what a compelling question was and after this course, I feel confident in my knowledge of what exactly is a compelling question and what a compelling question must meet and do for our students. I was so thankful we had the foundational elements assignment because like you mentioned, it also made me think deeply and put into practice what I learned about a compelling question. I really liked the idea behind social studies inquiry and wish all subjects would adapt to this form of learning and presenting of the content because I believe students would really enjoy it thus it would motivate them to learn. I also fear making lessons that my students will not be invested in and I think one way we can make them exciting or interesting goes back to what Nollmeyer said about making our compelling questions relevant to them. Personally, when content is introduced that relates to my life, I am excited to learn and engage in the learning because of that motivation. Would are your thoughts about this idea?
Melany,
DeleteI totally agree that trying to relate my lessons to my students personal life and personal interests. I think that relating anything students are learning to something in their personal life can totally help students become more engaged and excited about what they are learning. Thank you for viewing my blog!
Celynne-
DeleteI also thought the foundational element assignment also helped shape my understanding of compelling questions as well as teaching social studies inquiry. I also understand and sympathize with your concern. I also have this concern. Especially having no experience in the classroom yet, I am unsure what students ACTUALLY find interesting versus what I think is interesting. How do you think teachers manage to make all their students happy when creating their lessons?
Ashley,
DeleteI think it will be a challenge to ever make all of my students happy but hopefully after a while of experience in a classroom and with our students we can at least try and make lessons that majority of our students enjoy!
Celynne,
ReplyDeleteI feel like majority of us wasn’t too familiar with the ideas behind inquiry and what goes on to create a unit or lesson. Before this class I had no idea what a compelling question and it is used to guide the instruction. My experience with 303 helped me a little bit for writing compelling questions and thinking about effective wording. Creating lessons around one question can be difficult and can seem like the unit will be all over the place. What kind of projects did you experience for project-based lessons as a student? I find it a little difficult to come up with new ideas that I could potentially use in the classroom.